Main navigation

Get Involved

Building Leadership Team (BLT)

Salmon Bay Building Leadership Team

The Building Leadership Team (BLT) is made up of administration, staff, and parents from Salmon Bay K-8. This group maintains two-way communication with their represented groups and makes decisions regarding the school’s Continuous School Improvement Plan, professional development plan, and budget.

BLT Meeting Notes

BLT Attendance: Akash Evie Kim Angela Ms. Dixon Cynthia Therese Amy (Jenny M. attended for Amy) Nicolette Sam Ticely Christina Jodi  

Agenda/Discussion Topics:  

  1. Land Acknowledgement
  2. BLT Bylaws
  3. BLT Calendar  

Discussion Topics Include:

State of the School Updates

-Committees

-Groups: Primary, Middle, Office

-Unfilled positions and new hires  

Racial Equity Analysis Tool Raised by: Principal DixonSalmon Bay

School Logo Raised by: Principal Dixon

Racial Equity Fund Allocation Review Raised by: BLT Parent Reps Gaga Ball Pit (Alternative Idea) for Playground  

Notes: State of the School Updates: 

4th Grade Teacher has been hired

Office staff is fully staffed

.5 Social Worker has been allocated to Salmon Bay: Interview team is being formed   Middle School Students of Color Group Started a few weeks ago

Meeting on Thursdays at lunch This group may reach out to access some of the Racial Equity Funds  

Racial Equity Analysis Tool: BLT will review this tool to be better able to support SB staff in its implementation  

Black Lives Matter at School Week: Homeroom developed lessons in the 6th-8th GradePrimary grades use the BLM at school curriculum but must supplement the lessons Feb. 6th<- Feb. 10th   

Salmon Bay Logo: Ms. Dixon in contact with Amber Hayward (Puyallup Tribe) Ms. Dixon also reached out to the Suquamish Tribe to have support in developing a SB Logo   Gaga Pit: Gaga Pit is not SPS approved Lower playground is due for an ‘update’            

Committees:  

R.E.T. (Racial Equity Team) Hosting the next EOG Wednesday PD  They will use the Leading through Equity book to guide/lead the discussion  

P.B.I.S. (Positive Behavioral Intervention Strategies) Created three documents and PBIS members added ideas/revisions to the documents

Middle School: Were working to align the process of Lunch Reflections

Elementary: Lunchroom and Recess Expectations  

Creative Advantage: Series of PDs provided by the SPS that Salmon Bay can access. Committee members attended a district call last week. Members are working with SPS to determine when training dates will be. Starting to talk about which artists would be ideal for our WEP and spring activities.  

Safety Committee Update: Met on Tuesday Will update staff emergency backpacksWorking to determine where to store emergency supplies  

BLT Parent Representative Update: FOSB Racial Equity Fund- 8k5k allocated to Families of Color2k allocated to racial equity books for SB staffWorking to align Racial Equity groups that make up FOSB    

10/10/2022 BLT Notes

Attendance: Ms. Dixon Cynthia Therese (Remote) Akash Evie Amy Nicolette Sam Ticely Christina Jodi Wendy Kim  

Agenda:   -BLT Bylaws -BLT Calendar -Discussion Topics -Q&A

Action Steps:   Wednesday Staff Meeting To Do: Review the Bylaws and vote to approve or revise them. Committee discussion at the first staff meetingSubstitute reimbursement discussion at staff meetingCSIP: Vote on the Priority, Attendance and Discipline goals

Notes: Committees: -Committees need to have a vision and be focused on a goal this school year. -All staff members are requested to be on a committee.   Safety Committee -Evie is leading this committee -Support is needed from K-8 staff   P.B.I.S. Committee (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) -Every grade band needs a representative -Student voice is important to include in this process (Middle school ASB, elementary charters, etc…) -Review what we’ve used in the past as a starting place   R.E.T. (Racial Equity Team) -leading equity: Becoming an Advocate for all Students-This book may guide our equity work.   M.T.S.S. Committee (Multi-Tiered Systems of Support) -Administrators, Counselors, School Psychologist, and Reading Specialist, SpEd Representative   Social Committee

Green Team  

October 14th PD:   AM: Salmon Bay Data Analysis -Street Data: Book Discussion   PM: Restorative Justice Practices – Anita Morales:  

State of the School: Admin. Secretary, Laurie, has been hired.Office Assistant has been hired. Working through the onboarding processOffers have been made to fill our two open 4th grade positions Rainy Day Recess: Lightening and heavy rain will trigger the Rainy-Day Recess Process -If it’s raining heavily in the morning, elementary transitions inside to the classroom as early as 8:30 am -Middle school students will be in the cafeteria, library and classrooms Fire Drill: -Middle School students will be dismissed by grade level (6th grade first and then the 7/8 teams)  

Substitute Reimbursement: We are having many teacher absences. Administrators and a few specific staff are being ‘stretched’ as they are covering classes with teacher absences. Please be flexible.

In attendance: Ms. Dixon, Darren, Suro, Kim, Nicolette, Joelle, Audrey, Lafcadio, Cynthia, Rob, Caitlin, Ticely, Karly, Amy, Tina

Agenda

  • Review of BLT reps and who they each represent 
    • Kim – 2/3 team 
    • Nicolette – intermediate team 4/5 
    • Joelle – all SPED teachers 
    • Audrey – all IAs 
    • Lafcadio/Cynthia – parent reps
    • Rob Kyker – all specialists, MS and Elem 
    • Caitlin – SAEOPs 
    • Ticely – 6th grade team 
    • Karly – Cascade team 
    • Amy – K/1 team 
    • Tina – Olympic team 

Reflecting on the budget process 

  • SAEOPS – office staff concerns with 0.6 less next school year.  
  • Cascade – the quick turnaround of the budget and not very much time to reflect  
  • 6th grade – 6th grade similar to Karly’s team 
  • IAs – IAs didn’t really get a chance to meet 
  • 2/3 team – they were feeling happy after the first vote but then unsettled after the 2nd. 
  • Darren – more communication and sooner, if possible, to help all make decisions. 
  • Parents – Cynthia and Lafcadio went to FOSB meetings and communicated what was happening in BLT for budget 
  • Admin – changes in use of Self Help $$, what FOSB could afford to help us with this year. 

What about next year? Auction raised significantly less money than previous years. Not wanting to make big changes every year. 

Where is our BLT as a team?

Most people commented we are between “storming” and “norming”. In the “we” stage. 

These two pages will be presented/shared at our staff meeting (in person!) next week on 3/30. 

Plan is to work in groups and brainstorm where we are at and how we can move forward. 

Depends on which group(s)/teams we are talking about – teaching teams, BLT, all staff – all different. 

IAs – more voice – we need their expertise! SAEOPs too. 

Next steps

  • When do we need to have new reps  
  • BLT retreat in August? 

In Attendance: Ms. Dixon, Darren, Suro, Caitlin, Wendi B, Joelle, Lafcadio, Dave, Audrey, Karly, Cynthia, Amy, Carol, Ticely, Kim,  

Agenda

  • Budget follow-up
    • Option B – Friends of Salmon Bay $119,182
      • .1 music
      • .2 reading specialist
      • .3 MS Teacher
      • .2 nurse
      • 7,500 WEP sing & community building
    • Original ask – Friends of Salmon Bay ask $94,966
      • .2 reading specialist
      • .1 MS teacher extra period
      • .1 music
      • .2 nurse
      • ELEM WEP & Sing Community building
  • Lafcadio – follow up from FOSB ask
  • FOSB will vote on Thursday on whether or not to approve the ask. 

In Attendance: Ms. Dixon, Darren, Suro, Wendi B, Cynthia, Amy, Tina, Nicolette, Lafcadio, Audrey, Ticely, Dave, Karly, Kim, Caitlin, Dave, Carol 

Agenda

  • Budget meeting #2 
  • Ms. Dixon shows changes since last week.

Discussion

  • BLT agreed to present Option A to the staff for a vote this afternoon. 

Next meeting

  • Depends on outcome of staff meeting 

In Attendance: Ms. Dixon, Darren, Suro, Audrey, Karly, Tina, Amy, Kim, Caitlin, Ticely, Nicolette, Rob K, Lafcadio, Cynthia, Phoenix 

Agenda

  • Logo 
  • Prep for budget process  
  • Budget wants—report out from members 
  • Review, Q&A regarding bylaws—one item was requested to be considered for change. Please review notes from 9/16. 

Discussion

  • Check in about how we’re all doing – hobbies. 
  • Land acknowledgement – Suro 
  • Any feedback from teams – reading program. No feedback shared. 
  • Include teachers in curriculum adoption – Nicolette shared.  
  • K/1 teachers interested in starting Book-a-day if someone can organize/run it. 
  • K/1 uses Hagerty reading program (and Jaxie). 

Introductions by staff

  • Phoenix Johnson – guest/Salmon Bay parent supporting our logo change process.  
  • Ms. Dixon – shared that the district Native ed representatives are in support of us as well. 
  • Logo process – first step will be reading info that Phoenix will send to us regarding a tool kit for changing logos. 
  • Cynthia – after hearing from Phoenix, suggested adding a norm for the BLT. 
  • Darren – need to figure out a budget for this project 
  • Ticely – need parameters and check points for this project 

Next meeting

  • Thursday, 2/17 at 7:30 a.m